My photo
my name is monica but now i'm better known as nana. i have recurring dreams about faraway places and wild animals running free. i love to create with paper, food and yarn and i love to share snippets of my life.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Green!?...the new color in diapers!



OK...I did my bit for the environment and I've gone green. Ever since I starting teaching prenatal classes I have been sharing with my clients the cloth vs. disposable diaper information. I always used cloth diapers on my children, and now that I am a Nana, I finally made some cloth diapers for my grand babies when they come to visit.Here are some facts for your perusal:

Benefits of Cloth Diapers
Renewable
* Single-use life cycle of disposable diapers perpetuate their continued consumption, causing undue stress on our natural resources.
* the USA consumes an estimated 27.4 billion disposable diapers per year
* over 92% of all single-use diapers end up in a landfill
* over 300lbs. of wood and 50lbs. of petroleum feedstocks are used to produce disposable diapers for ONE baby EACH year.

Recyclable

* disposable diapers are not really biodegradeable which is why it is estimated that they take 250-500 years to decompose
* in 1991, an attempt to recycle disposable diapers was deemed economically unfeasible

Reusable!
* cotton diapers are not single-use diapers
* a family can expect to reuse cloth diapers 50 to 200 times before reusing them as rags

For more information please visit http://www.realdiaperassociation.org/diaperfacts.php

3 comments:

~ Mylene ~ said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! I used home-sewn flannel diapers for all five of my children and they were marvellous! My babies rarely had diaper rash and they made the switch from diapers to underpants with no trouble at all when they were about two and a half years old. It was a snap!

Peace ~

Adriann said...

Nice thing to do for the environment and they are cute too!

TanishaRenee said...

These are adorable! I'd love to say I'm going to use reuseable diapers, but it's disposable for us. I did change my light bulbs that I use most to the more energy efficient ones an I turn off the water when I brush my teeth...every little bit helps, right?!

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails