My photo
my name is monica but now i'm better known as nana. i have recurring dreams about faraway places and wild animals running free. i love to create with paper, food and yarn and i love to share snippets of my life.

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Harvest Time.....





I can't believe that summer is almost coming to an end. I went out to check on our tomatoes and they're just about ready and I need to harvest my herbs so I think I'll make some yummy pesto so I can enjoy a taste of this summer sunshine in the middle of winter.
Pesto Recipe from my dear Italian friend Teresa
1 large bunch of basil, leaves only, washed and dried
3 medium cloves of garlic
bunch of parsley leaves
one small onion
roughly 3/4 cup Parmesan, loosely packed and FRESHLY GRATED
A few tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil

Start chopping the garlic, onion and parsley along with about 1/3 of the basil leaves. Once this is loosely chopped add more basil, chop some more, add the rest of the basil, chop some more. I scrape and chop, gather and chop. At this point the basil and garlic should be a very fine mince. Add half of the Parmesan, chop. Add the rest of the Parmesan, and chop. In the end you want a chop so fine that you can press all the ingredients into a basil "cake" - see the photo up above. Transfer the pesto "cake" to a small bowl (not much bigger than the cake). Cover with a bit of olive oil, it doesn't take much, just a few tablespoons.
You can set this aside or place it in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it or freeze it or saute it in a pan and blend in the blender. Just before serving give the pesto a quick stir to incorporate some of the oil into the basil.
Use as a pasta toping.
Makes about 1 cup.

No comments:

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails