My photo
my name is monica but now i'm better known as nana. i have recurring dreams about faraway places and wild animals running free. i love to create with paper, food and yarn and i love to share snippets of my life.

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Easy Peasy Hot Cross Buns!




We had an incredible snow day today just as everyone was getting used to the idea that Spring was peeking its head just right around the corner. We awoke to a full all in all Alberta blizzard, so I decided to use my time to make some homemade rolls(2 dozen) and some home made hot cross buns! I made them all with the following simple and fast bread recipe.
Two Hour Buns
3 cups water lukewarm
8 tbsp. sugar
6 tbsp. oil
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp.Instant Yeast
2 eggs
Flour (7-8 cups - to make workable dough)

Mix yeast and 4 cups flour. In a separate bowl, whip eggs, sugar, oil and water. Blend well, add remaining flour and salt. Knead in last of flour. Let rise 15 minutes Punch down. Do not knead. Let rise again for 15 minutes Punch down and form into buns. Put buns in greased pan; cover and let rise in warm place for one hour. Bake in 350 F oven for 15 to 18 minutes Makes 4-5 dozen buns. For the hot cross buns I added the following to the last flour addition : 1 Tbl cinnamon, 1 tsp. nutmeg,1/2 tsp. cloves, 1/2 cup currents, 1/4 cup dried cranberries (or any dried fruit you'd like)I brushed the hot cross buns with an egg wash and snipped a 'cross' in the top of each bun with scissors. Once cooled I drew a frosting cross atop each roll with ready made frosting!

2 comments:

mamawcindy said...

Girl, You've went and made me hungry! :0)

Adriann said...

This recipe looks yummy. Just pinned it! Can't wait to try it.

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails