My photo
my name is monica but now i'm better known as nana. i have recurring dreams about faraway places and wild animals running free. i love to create with paper, food and yarn and i love to share snippets of my life.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Healthy Lasagne Recipe

I like many of you are constantly living our lives by what the scale says. It has been particularly all consuming for me. After trying EVERY diet there is, losing weight , gaining it back, you all know the drill, I've decided that I am going to continue to eat healthy and move this body a little more, now that I'm a bonafide athlete(read yesterday's post:)
My husband has been blessed with a terrific metabolism and I have not. I've had my thyroid removed and I am presently on steroid treatment for Lupus so for now it is what it is, however, although we may appear to be Jack Sprat and his wife, he has to watch his ever climbing cholesterol so we are both always looking for the healthier alternative. One recipe that we both love that doesn't compromise taste for nutrition is this Lasagne Recipe. I've even fed it to my grandsons with no complaints! Give it a try!


HEALTHY LASAGNE
1 POUND LEAN GROUND TURKEY (has more flavor than chicken)
you can reduce the amount of meat by adding chopped peppers, carrots etc)
1 small ONION finely chopped)
2 cloves GARLIC (minced)
1 bag SPINACH  or spinach/kale mix
WHOLE WHEAT LASAGNE NOODLES(always use whole wheat as the breakdown of sugar is so much healthier)
PARTLY SKIM GRATED MOZZARELLA
CANNED SPAGHETTI SAUCE (read label for sugar content)
1% COTTAGE CHEESE -1cup
1-2 EGGS
PARMESAN CHEESE 1/3 cup
Preheat oven to 350
Brown meat and add onion,garlic and salt and pepper to season. At the same time steam your spinach in another saucepan and drain all water.
Chop spinach and add to the ground meat mixture. Pour in jar of spaghetti sauce and simmer for 7-10 min.
Cook 8 lasagne noodles as per package directions.
In a separate bowl mix together cottage cheese, parmesan cheese and egg. Stir well.
Layer into a 9x13 pan:
1/3 meat mixture, 4 noodles, cottage cheese mixture, 1/3 meat, 4 noodles remaining meat mixture.
Top with mozzarella cheese and bake for 30 minutes.
Serve with a salad. Delish and good for you!


1 comment:

Sue~tsnbjj said...

I completely understand the health thing Monica. We have been trying to remake some of our favorite dishes here too. This recipe sounds delicious!
Hugs, Sue

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails